Saturday, April 13, 2013

First Grade Envision Math Focus Wall

I had the best PD for a math focus wall yesterday!  We met with Kathy Graham from Pearson and she brought a few anchor charts that she used for math focus walls.  This is exactly what I needed to see!  I have struggled with my math focus wall for a while now.  I wasn't happy with it.  The kids weren't interacting with it and I was just going through the motions.  Well after yesterday's aha! moment I immediately created a new anchor chart for Topic 14, Using Data to Answer Questions.  Take a look at it!  I LOVE it!  
This is the top portion of the anchor chart.  It contains the topic question and the vocabulary.  According to research students will focus on words written in green.  Thus, the green vocabulary words.

I taped a second sheet to the bottom and wrote the I can statements with pictures for each lesson. Which in turn becomes our concept map for the topic.  I will fold the bottom and reveal the new statement each day.

Here is the entire chart unfolded.  It probably took me about 45 minutes to make and now I have it forever!  :0) I can't wait to use it on Monday!  

I know that time is precious for so many of us. Thus, came my idea to digitally create the focus walls for all 16 Envision Math Topics 2013. If you just don't have the time to devote to creating these anchor charts you can purchase them in my TPT store. I bundled all of the focus walls HERE or you can purchase them individually. Just go to my TPT STORE and click in the search box. Then type in the topic you want to purchase.  


To find more great Math ideas go HERE!



2 comments:

  1. I always struggle with finding the time to make anchor charts. I like that you used "I Can" statements, so that it's in kid-friendly language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved having some visual aides for kids to refer to while they worked. It really helps to solidify concepts for the ones who needs lots of repetition!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover